Just a small rant, because shouting at the radio in the car is not as cathartic as you might think.
I am getting increasingly annoyed by the repeated use of the expression “make a success of Brexit” without the slightest definition of what that success might be. Obviously, for T.May it is already a success. For R.Murdoch it is about increasing personal wealth, power and influence. I cannot imagine what goes on in the rage-driven minds of the Daily Mail editors and writers.
Nobody has defined “success,” but lots of people seem to be able to read the minds of the 38% who voted to quit – the will of the people – without actually saying what it was they saw there.
For me, a successful Brexit will be one where we
- have free movement & trade within & with Europe,
- welcome refugees from wars we have helped to start,
- have no local duplication of civil service and bureaucracy,
- retain influence on local & world politics,
- have less racism & division, more unity,
- keep & extend protection of workers & human rights, and
- see an end to petty-minded nationalism.
You may be able to see where we would have to be to achieve all those things.